THC-infused products are on the rise, and they are dangerous. Here’s how students can help prevent the use and distribution of these products at Hayfield.

Sabela Seiter, Staff Writer

Tetrahydrocannabinol, or  THC, is the major active ingredient in marijuana. Over the years, it has also shown up in products other than marijuana, such as  vape products, gummies, candy, and other products. There has been a recent rise in the marketing of these products to teenagers in Fairfax County. 

These products, although they look harmless, often contain high doses of THC, which can have some very negative effects on teenagers.  

According to the New York Times, these negative effects can include “lethargy, confusion,  impaired coordination, rapid heart rate, and vomiting.”   

In extreme cases, it can also cause hallucinations, trouble breathing, and seizures. These products can also cause problems in school, including trouble concentrating and trouble with memory. 

Hayfield is not immune to the use or distribution of these products, and there are actions that Hayfield students should take to prevent this.These actions can include encouraging their friends or classmates to avoid using or consuming products infused with THC, and notifying an adult immediately if they see anyone using or consuming any of these products. 

The latter of these things is extremely important. There is a reason these products are not allowed on school grounds. It is because they are dangerous for teenagers. It is very important to take the actions mentioned above to prevent use and distribution of these products at Hayfield.  These actions will help to make sure Hayfield continues to be a  safe and drug free learning environment. Students should remember that  these actions may also save a life.