The Student News Site of Hayfield Secondary School

The Harvester News

The Harvester News

The Harvester News

A life shaped by sports
Yahia Omar, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

Hazbin Hotel: A New Musical Masterpiece

Vivienne Medrano, aka Vivziepop, via Youtube

Originally released as only a pilot episode, Hazbin Hotel premiered in 2019 on the youtube channel of creator Vivienne Medrano, known better as Vivziepop. Now, 5 years later, the show has finally received a full first season, streaming on Prime Video. Hazbin Hotel is a musical dramedy based around Charlie Morningstar, a determined princess working to save Hell from its yearly extermination. While the show encapsulates viewers with its plot, its soundtrack is truly the highlight that draws you in.

Medrano successfully captivates watchers with a mix of dark plotlines and upbeat songs, even addressing serious topics such as abuse and addiction. One song, titled ‘Poison’, offers perspective into the mind of the character Angel Dust, who endures abuse throughout the show.  Not only is the song well-written, but it’s beautifully sung by the up and coming voice actor Blake Roman. Along with Roman, there are many other talented voices in the show, such as Erika Henningson (Mean Girls: The Musical), Alex Brightman (School of Rock), and Jeremy Jordan (Newsies). 

The newfound popularity of Hazbin Hotel has led many people to appreciate Medrano’s work, but this actually isn’t the first time she’s gained popularity for her creations. In 2019, soon after the premiere of Hazbin Hotel’s pilot episode, she began releasing episodes of a spin off show, Helluva Boss. Helluva Boss takes place in the same timeline and universe as Hazbin Hotel, but focuses on a different set of characters living in Hell. Releasing new episodes every few months, the show became rapidly popular, quickly gaining a fandom much like Hazbin Hotel has. 

With high reviews on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, Hazbin Hotel has also been praised by critics due to its good writing, catchy soundtrack, and amazing acting. Because of those factors, I would recommend it to anyone looking for something to watch.

View Comments (3)