The Student News Site of Hayfield Secondary School

The Harvester News

The Harvester News

The Harvester News

A life shaped by sports
Yahia Omar, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

A life shaped by sports

AP
Atalanta’s Gianluca Scamacca vies for the ball during a training session one day ahead of the Europa League soccer Final between Atalanta and Bayer Leverkusen at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday, May 21, 2024. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

For Josh Thompson, soccer isn’t just a hobby; it’s his whole life. 

“I think that soccer has had the biggest influence over my life; even more than school has,” Thompson said.

His daily routine revolves around the sport, with practices, games, and constant efforts to improve taking up his time. 

“I keep control of my diet and sleep schedule, implement times for stretching and recovery, or gym work, and closely watch films to see how I can improve.” Thompson said.

Sports often require sacrifices, as Hunter Slaney, a lacrosse player, explains.

“It takes up a lot of time and I don’t have a lot of time to hang out with my friends,” Slaney said. 

Yet, these sacrifices bring rewards. Trey Richardson, for example,found soccer to be a way to make friends when he moved across the country. 

“I went outside one day. I saw these kids playing soccer. That’s when I realized we had something in common. This was five years ago and to this day we are best friends.” Richardson said.

Slaney also acknowledges the social benefits of being involved in sports. 

“I’ve had the opportunity to meet more people and connect with them through lacrosse, and they’ve impacted my life positively, helping make some of the best memories.” Slaney said. These connections often extend beyond the field, forming lifelong friendships and cherished experiences.

Sports can also boost self-esteem and confidence. 

“I think my confidence has increased because I am on a winning team. We are undefeated this season, 14-0 going into the regional championship.” Slaney said.

Richardson agreed.

Additionally, being part of a team and experiencing the support and camaraderie can also contribute to your confidence. Sports provide a platform to showcase your skills, overcome challenges, and develop resilience, all of which can positively influence your self-confidence both on and off the field. I feel like I’ve gained more confidence playing sports and feel like it really impacted my life in a positive way.” Richardson said.