Hayfield Music Department receives multiple honors

Katerina Floros, Staff Writer

Hayfield Secondary’s Band and Orchestra programs both participated at the District 10 Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association state assessment on March 3rd and 4th. VBODA uses a 1-5 grading system, with 1 being the highest. Overall, it was a successful weekend!

Hayfield Chamber Orchestra (@hayfieldorchestras on Instagram)

Orchestra Results

Hayfield Orchestras hosted their assessment at Hayfield Secondary. Students volunteered for two days to make the event happen. The Chamber Orchestra performed on Friday the 3rd, earning a 1, a superior rating. This was followed by the Sinfonietta Orchestra receiving an excellent rating, and the Symphonic Orchestra earning a superior.

“District assessment was a great learning experience for us. We worked hard for months and it paid off with superior ratings. The judges gave constructive feedback that we took time to listen to so we can become a better orchestra. I loved hosting it at Hayfield because we got to meet so many other schools and orchestras with very different skill levels and talents. It was a positive experience both socially and personally.” said sophomore violist, Ally Pikul.

Band Results

Wind Ensemble warming up for assessment (Andrew Clifford)

The Hayfield Band program traveled to West Potomac High School for the District X band assessment. The Symphonic Band performed on Friday, earning a superior rating. This was followed by the Wind Ensemble on Saturday, also receiving a superior rating.

“District Assessment was a great time for us to show off our hard work that we have been putting in over the last four months. Everyone did really well and worked hard for this event, and now we have to start thinking about preparing for next year,” said sophomore Tripp Hildebrand, who is a trumpet player in the Wind Ensemble.

The superior ratings earned by the Hayfield Bands in both concert and marching band means that the program is once again a Virginia Honor Band. This is the second year in a row that the program has received this honor, and only the 4th time in school history.

In addition to this, all programs of the Hayfield Music department have sent students to perform in district and state ensembles.