The Student News Site of Hayfield Secondary School

The Harvester News

The Harvester News

The Harvester News

A review of "Saturn" by SZA
Gisselle Tedla, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Highlighting Hayfield artists
Callie Boyd, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
What are our Hawks listening to?
Kiara Repuyan, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

Ms.Gilbert’s five mystery book recommendations

AP
Shown is a collection of J.R.R. Tolkien books at the “Hobbit House” Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2012, in Chester County, near Philadelphia. Architect Peter Archer has designed a “Hobbit House” containing a world-class collection of J.R.R. Tolkien manuscripts and memorabilia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Have you been searching for new books to read? Are you into books that keep you on the edge of your seat and leave you wondering what’s going to happen next? Then check out these book recommendations from one of our librarians Ms. Gilbert.

All of these books are available to borrow at the Hayfield Library. You are also able to purchase them at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com. If you’re someone who prefers audio books, you can also listen to these books on Audible.

#MurderTrending by Gretchen McNeil:

photo from Amazon.com

Ms. Gilbert’s description: Dee is stuck in a nightmare—being hunted by serial killers while it’s all being live streamed. It’s because Dee supposedly committed a terrible crime…but what if she’s innocent? Can she make it out alive and find the real criminal?

Who Ms. Gilbert recommends this book for: Fans of Squid Games

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/MurderTrending-Gretchen-McNeil/dp/1368010024

If you loved this book take a look at the next two installments, #MurderFunding and #NoEscape.

The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes:

photo from Amazon.com

Ms. Gilbert’s description:  Avery’s life is turned upside down when a billionaire she has never met dies and leaves her his entire fortune in his will. Now she has to figure out why she was the one chosen while also staying alive, which turns out to be harder than she thought with so many living family members willing to do anything to gain back the fortune they lost.

Who Ms. Gilbert recommends this book for: Fans of Knives Out or One of Us Is Lying

The next four books in this series are The Hawthorne Legacy, The Brother’s Hawthorne, The Final Gambit, and Games Untold.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP2DR7QY?binding=hardcover&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_thcv

Promise Boys by Nick Brooks:

photo from Amazon.com

Ms Gilbert’s Description: At an all-boys charter school in DC, the principal is found murdered, and three boys who were in detention next door to the principal’s office become the prime suspects. Is one of them the murderer, or is the threat still lurking through the hallways?

Who Ms.Gilbert recommends this for: Fans of Bel-Air or One of Us Is Lying

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Promise-Boys-Nick-Brooks/dp/1250866979

Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé:

photo from Amazon.com

Ms. Gilbert’s description: Devon and Chiamata are both chosen to be leaders of their senior class at an elite private school, but when both start receiving threatening messages from a mysterious account called “Aces,” things begin to get deathly serious very quickly. Can the two figure out who is Aces before both of their lives are ruined forever?

Who Ms.Gilbert recommends this for: Fans of The Hate U Give or Get Out

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Ace-Spades-Faridah-Abike-Iyimide/dp/1250800811

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga:

photo from Amazon.com

Ms. Gilbert’s description: Jazz’s father was the world’s most infamous serial killer until he was finally caught and sent to prison. Now someone is copying his father’s murders, and Jazz is the only one who can help the police understand the crimes. However, what if Jazz is more like his father than anyone thinks?

Who Ms. Gilbert recommends this for: Fans of true crime and forensic science

If you want to dive deeper into this book’s story, consider reading the next two installments, Game and Blood of My blood

Amazon link: